Monday, September 22, 2014

Happy Car-Free Day!

I had grand plans to blog this weekend on various, funny topics including my Weekend Warrior Woes on the Metro (coming soon) and starting my multi-part blog series on the "Cast of Characters" on the train each day. Even without uttering a word to many of these people, I keep seeing the same commuters and really feel like I know them or at least have begun to create personalities for them in my head. Stay tuned...

So, anyway, today is Car-Free-Day in the DC area and I can  state that even though I'm not doing it completely car-free today, I do do it enough throughout the year that I feel like I'm owed a pass on the actual day, OK? And, when I do use my car, I'm maybe driving 15 miles a day, TOTAL, with it (to and from the station and home, plus a few errands in between), so I still feel like I'm doing my part. 

Either way, I'm a true believer now in commuting via public transit (hence the blog), and do think every American should, at some point, commute for an entire week (or at least a full day) using nothing but public transit. I know it's harder out in the suburbs and even more so in rural areas, but it's not impossible. And I truly think more people would understand the plight of many others when they do so -- running errands via a bus, having to wait for transit, when it's running late, in all kinds of weather, and actually realizing how inexpensive (relatively) it is compared to gas prices, mileage and upkeep on a vehicle. 

So, on that note...enjoy and HAPPY CAR-FREE MONDAY! 


Grumpy cat gets a learner's permit.



No comments:

Post a Comment