Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Brand spankin' new

The other day, I got on the train and it was a new model of the double-decker cars on the MARC train system. I'm in love. (I think technically they are called "bi-level" cars, but I love London, so double-decker it shall be on this blog!)

The picture doesn't do it justice but it also smells brand spankin' new. Like a car just off the lot. :)

I'm assuming these are the ones that former Governor O'Malley mentions in this press release because I saw those 4 additional side doors as I exited the train the other day! Ooooo, fancy. 

Currently MARC has three models that I've ridden in/on. First, there's the old-school double-decker ones -- carriage cars. The lower level has normal 2x2 seats where you sit either facing the direction you're going or backwards. The upper level has a single row of seats, half of which face either front or back and the other half face towards the center of the car, with the space between the two sides, open to view down to the first level, and vice versa. Photo of exterior below. If I can find an interior, I'll update for sure!

The door is in the middle of the carriage cars, rather than the ends of the car.

The one that I tend to be on more than other ones is a single level with just a long row of seats. I posted a picture of the interior in this blog post. It has come to light, in recent events, that they are not the safest of train cars, when in a collision. 

The third kind are the newest model I've ridden on (until earlier this week). They are very similar to the newest car, with two levels. Almost like a split-level house, you have to choose whether you want to sit upstairs or downstairs almost immediately after entering the train car. The doors are at both ends and there seems to be more accommodations on these double-deckers for a larger quantity of people and even more ADA compliant than the single level cars. 

I'm super pumped to see this newest model in action on the Brunswick line earlier this week and hope to get more chances to test-ride in the coming months! Also, as much as the carriage cars are unique and old-school, I'll be glad when those are phased out of circulation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment