Thursday, September 11, 2014

Silver, silver, silver


Today we talk about something that has now been open for more than month in the DC area. I'm surprised I haven't even mentioned it yet, but I also haven't ridden it to know much about it. Haven't really had a need to.

Yet this week as I planned a few plane trips in the coming months, I was curious about how this new line could get me to Dulles Airport. Now the Silver Line does not go all the way to the Virginia airport YET (that'll happen in about 3-4 years -- at least that's my current bet), but I did discover there is a shuttle picking people up at the Wiehle-Reston East metro stop, called the Silver Line Express. For $5, it should (and, should being the key word) only be a 15 minute ride from the metro to the airport. That's not too shabby. Depending on where you live within the city, could be better than getting to BWI even. Nothing beats Reagan National in terms of proximity and access though if you live in the District or are very close to the city boundaries (think, Arlington/Alexandria).

For me, it's more than about double the time to Metro if I were to come from our home in Montgomery County, than it would for me to drive straight to Dulles from our house (approx. 45 minutes). If I'm at work, it's about 15-20 minutes longer to use public transit from Judiciary Square to get to Dulles versus driving from my house straight to Dulles. Either way, there are now OPTIONS. Way to go, DC. Way to go. 

Anywho, just an FYI for any of my traveling friends who need to get to Dulles and don't want to drive, or don't have access to a car. Or just don't want to pay for parking. 

Happy Friday eve!
Needed something cute to look at? You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment